Pages

2005 Montreal, Part I

picture: "Parc Linear" (Quebec)

Distance: 50K/day x 6 days= 300K

Level of Difficulty: mostly flat terrain, easy ride in bicycle lanes. Fine gravel. Signs everywhere.

Rides North of Montreal: Park d'Oka, St Eustache, Linear Park (south portion only), St. Anne de Bellevue, Vieux Port, Lachinne, Ile Bizard.

The "Parc Linear" has gentle hills and the gravel is very fine. Fee of $5 to use the "Parc" and you can pay it in any of the many stations in the park. I heard that the north portion is paved. There is a bicycle bus that charges about $60 and they take you to the northest point of the path and you can start your ride.

Weather: Perfect: no rain, mild temperatures, warm enough not to need a jacket (during the 2nd week of September).

Accommodation: Very affordable accommodation and excellent meals at Abbeye Deux Montagnes.

I checked-in my bike as baggage in VIA RAIL; no need to disassemble or remove anything. You pay about $15 and you put your bike inside a plastic bag provided by VIA. Once in Montreal I rode to the suburban train station "Canora". From there I took the train (with my bicycle) and got off at "Deux Montagnes". Bikes are not allowed in the suburban trains during rush hours.

What would I have done differently?

I would have riden the whole Petit Train du Nord (Parc Linear or Bass Laurentides) from begining to end "bout au bout".

The Best: People's friendliness, delicious food, and green landscape, great bike paths everywhere. A definite come back!

No comments: